Brown University is a private college, with located in Providence Rhode Island. It has an endowment of $3 million that is managed by the Brown University Investment Office. The Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Policies (ACCRIP) considers issues of ethical and moral responsibility in the investment policies of Brown University. Committee members include students, faculty, staff, and alumni of the University. ACCRIP examines all proxy resolutions concerning issues of social responsibility that are presented to the University as a shareholder and has developed guidelines for voting on such resolutions.
Brown has launched an investment fund that gives donors who wish to support the University philanthropically a sustainability-focused giving option structured to invest in companies that meet high standards of environmental, social and governance practices.
Brown University is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- AASHE STARS: No
- ACUPCC: No
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Committee on Investor Responsibility: Yes, The Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Policies
- Divestment Goal: Partially
- INCR: Yes
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: Yes
- Sustainable Investment Policy: No
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No
Other Sustainable Investing Practices:
Since 2007, Brown has had a Social Choice Fund option for donors to the endowment who wish for their money to be invested in a socially responsible manner. This fund has a minimum donation of 25,000 however, making it inaccessible to many small donors.
- Fossil Fuels in Investment Policies