IEN and the HBCU Green Fund have joined forces to launch a new initiative aimed at improving endowment investment decision-making in higher education to better incorporate factors related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).
The central driving force of this initiative is this Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Working Group comprised of senior leaders from higher education, the investment industry, foundations, and non-profit partners. The group seeks to leverage the wide networks and expertise of the members and enable cross-sectoral collaboration to ensure that this work is championed by a diverse range of decision-makers involved in the endowment investment process.
In order for higher education institutions to help move our society towards a more just and sustainable future, their endowments will need to mobilize their pool of money in a manner that prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the investment process. This means that endowments will integrate a DEI lens in the following ways:
- Enhancing diversity within the university investment offices by ensuring people are not excluded deliberately or through implicit bias on the basis of race, ethnicity, or gender.
- Evaluating the performance of companies and funds with regard to diversity, equity and inclusion in their boards, management, and staff in the investment process and engage with companies and funds to improve on these issues.
- Identifying minority-led investment managers.
- Making investments that benefit women, low-income communities, and communities of color.
- Supporting finance and investment education of diverse students to build a pipeline of talent.
The Working Group plans to advance the conversation on these topics through a series of educational and peer-networking activities, including events, webinars, and white papers.
If you are interested in getting involved with the Working Group, please email Kaede Kawauchi at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also join our listserv or post to this group by sending an email to DEIemail@example.com.
Webinar: Incorporating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Factors in the Investment Process | Anthony Rust (Warren Wilson College and the Business Equity Fund); Justin Wilson (Diverse Asset Managers Initiative); Julianne Zimmerman (Reinventure Capital), November 2018