Humboldt State University is a part of the California State University System, located in Arcata, California. The Humboldt State University Advancement Foundation oversees the endowment.
The Humboldt State University Advancement Foundation screens certain industries from its direct investments, including fossil fuels. It is currently working on reducing indirect investments in said industries.
In 2013, students approached the HSU Advancement Foundation at an associated students meeting to advocate for further divestment from fossil fuels. In response, the HSU Advancement Foundation took many steps to further advance its tradition of environmental sustainability. In 2014, the HSU Advancement Foundation decided to direct 10% of its portfolio into green funds and explored creating a “Green Challenge,” allowing for another 10% of the portfolio to be shifted to green funds for every $500,000 donated to the endowment.
Humboldt State University is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- IEN Founding Member (2016)
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Gold
- ACUPCC: Yes, Climate Neutral By 2050
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Committee for Investor Responsibility: No
- Divestment Goal: Yes, Partial
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: No
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes
- Principles for Responsible Investment: Yes
- Humboldt Sustainability
- Humboldt State University Helps Lead Push for Fossil-Free, Greener Investing