Endowment Value: $22.9 million (February 2018)
Northland College is a private liberal arts college in Ashland, Wisconsin, with a student body of around 600 that focuses on the environment and sustainability. The Board of Trustees oversees the management of Northland’s endowment.
In 2017, Northland College formed the Committee on Investor Responsibility (CIR) consider fossil fuel divestment though its role has subsequently been expanded to include the full scope of sustainable investment including making recommendations on socially and environmentally responsible investment opportunities and proxy voting advice. In February, 2018, the Board of Trustees authorized Northern Trust Company, its primary financial manager, to begin implementing the Board's proposal to realign funds to accommodate the removal of fossil fuels from the endowment over the course of five years.
Northland College is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- IEN Member (2017)
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Gold
- ACUPCC: Yes, Climate Neutral By 2030
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Committee on Investor Responsibility: Yes
- Divestment Goal: Yes, Full
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: No
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No