The program agenda will be designed in response to participant feedback to the following questions:
- What are your burning questions on these topics (sustainable/ESG/SRI investing, intentionally designed endowments)?
- What, if any, unique information or expertise might you have to contribute to this conversation?
- Please complete this sentence: "This meeting will be successful, if at its conclusion, I ..."
Program sessions will be a combination of brief panel presentations, and plenty of time for dialogue with experts and peers at small tables.
Below is the latest agenda. Structure and timing of the sessions are subject to change.
Thursday, August 25
12:00-1:00 Registration and networking
1:00-1:10 Welcome remarks
- Robert Nava, SF State and San Francisco State University Foundation
1:10-1:30 Context and higher education’s sustainability leadership
- Tony Cortese, Intentional Endowments Network
- Georges Dyer, Intentional Endowments Network
- Barbara Simonetti, Intentional Endowments Network
1:30-2:00 Dialogue: Why are you here? Where are you in the process?
Where is your institution on the spectrum of intentionally designed endowments? What are the issues on your campuses – what stakeholder concerns are presenting challenges?
2:00-2:50 Panel: Stories from the Boardroom - Building Consensus for Sustainable Investing
- Moderator: Brian Sharpes, UBS
- Leona Bridges, SF State Foundation, and San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
- John Gumas, SF State Foundation, and Gumas Advertising
- Robert Nava, SF State and SF State Foundation
2:50-3:10 Dialogue - Where is the conversation at your institution? What is needed to move it forward?
3:20-3:35 Short Talk: Addressing the Question of Fiduciary Duty
- Keith Johnson, Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren
3:35-4:25 Panel: The Opportunity – Financial Performance and Impact
- Moderator: Ken Locklin, Impax Asset Management
- Meredith Benton, Sonen Capital
- Douglas Cogan, MSCI
- Jessica Huang, Blackrock
- Michael Kinstlick, SASB
4:25-4:45 Dialogue: What are your questions on financial performance? How important is measuring positive societal impact?
4:45-5:15 Keynote: The Opportunity in the New Economy
- Ira Ehrenpreis, DBL Partners
5:15-6:00 Campus Sustainability Tour & Break
6:00-7:00 Networking reception
7:00-9:00 Dinner and Keynote
- Jagdeep Bachher, Chief Investment Officer and Vice President of Investments, University of California
Friday, August 26
8:00-8:30 Networking breakfast
8:30-8:40 Dialogue: Review / preview
8:40-9:25 Panel: Stories from Advisors – Constructing Mission-Aligned Portfolios
- Moderator: David Dinerman, Trustee, Hampshire College
- Alice DonnaSelva, Prime Buchholz
- Jameela Pedcini, Perella Weinberg Partners
- Michael Pearce, Cambridge Associates
9:25-9:55 Dialogue: How do we work with our investment professionals to integrate a sustainable investment strategy?
9:55-10:05 Short Talk: Shareholder Engagement – An Implementation Opportunity
- Danielle Fugere, As You Sow
10:20–11:05 Popcorn Session: Strategies and Products for Sustainable Investing
- Betty Cremmins, CDP
- Kevin Crook, Principal Global Investors
- Lisa Hayles, Boston Common Asset Management
- Ian Monroe, Etho Capital
- Dan Neilson, Great Lakes Advisors
- Jamie Rantanen, Deutsche Bank - Global Client Group
- Martha Shear, Commonfund
11:05-12:00 Open Space: Working the Network
- Participant-organized small group discussions on topics of interest to participants
12:00 -1:00 Lunch buffet and continued dialogue
- Open space conversations continue through lunch with tables designated for workgroups and/or topics
1:00-1:45 Stories from Campus: Integrating Sustainable Investing across the Campus Community
- Moderator: Ian Monroe, Stanford University
- Amy Jaffe, UC Office of the CIO and UC Davis
- Seren Pendleton-Knoll, UC Berkeley
- Tanvi Pradhan, SF State
1:45-2:05 Dialogue: How might sustainable investing enhance your educational mission?
2:15-3:15 Action Planning & Network Building
What will you do when you get back to your institution?
3:15-3:45 Closing Keynote
- President Leslie Wong, San Francisco State University
3:45-4:00 Wrap-up and Adjourn
- Garrett Ashley, The California University