Webinar: Sustainable Investing through Hedge Funds
ESG and sustainable investing strategies have historically been less prevalent in hedge funds than other areas of investment. However, the same benefits apply to hedge funds that employ these strategies. In fact, because of their ability to sell short, hedge funds can benefit not only from investing long in winning companies, but also from shorting companies on the losing end of the shift to sustainable business models or companies with high levels of ESG risk. In this webinar, we will discuss five key areas of focus including:
- Sustainable themes, such as renewable energy and global healthcare solutions, are focused on areas of the equity market with significant stock dispersion, making them excellent areas for long/short investing with strong potential for alpha generation.
- There are growing areas of opportunity in sustainable credit strategies, such as expanding access to credit to underserved segments of the population, funding for hospitals and schools, and community development through small business lending.
- A multi-manager portfolio, integrating multiple sustainability approaches, provides important diversification and risk mitigation benefits to maximize risk-adjusted returns, particularly given the high volatility of certain sustainable sectors such as renewable energy.
- Avoiding investments in carbon-related energy companies that are part of The Carbon Underground 200 avoids risks associated with potentially stranded assets and reduces climate change-related tail risks.
- Active ownership through oversight and corporate engagement can achieve positive outcomes.
For additional information, please also see the Alternative Investments White Paper, ESG and Sustainable Hedge Fund Investing: Observations.
Sam Sussman, Partner, Head of Investment Strategy / Portfolio Manager, Alernative Investment Group
Sam Sussman is a partner, Head of Investment Strategy and a Portfolio Manager for Alternative Investment Group. Sam is responsible for portfolio construction and management of Alternative Investments Opportunity, L.P. and Alternative Investments Sustainability, L.P. Read full bio...
Alice L. DonnaSelva, CFA, Consultant, Prime, Buchholz & Associates
Alice DonnaSelva joined Prime Buchholz in 2005 and has 13 years of industry experience. Prior to becoming a Consultant, she served as a Consulting Analyst and an Investment Analyst for seven years. Alice serves as Chair of the Firm’s Sustainable Investment Committee and is a member of the Fixed Income and Defined Benefit Committees. Read full bio...
David Dinerman, Trustee, Hampshire College
David Dinerman is a trustee at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, where he is Vice Chair, and heads the Finance and Investment Committees. David is an attorney who has worked in financial services, software, manufacturing, and real estate, principally as the CFO of companies in which he has worked... Read full bio...