University of California is a public university system in California. It has 10 campuses located in Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. The Office of the Chief Investment Officer of the Regents manages the entire UC system’s endowment of $14.26 billion, as well as its retirement funds, together totaling nearly $100 billion.
The UC System and/or Individual Campuses are a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- IEN Founding Member (2016)
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Four Reporting Campuses
- ACUPCC: Yes
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: Yes
- CDP: Yes
- Committee for Investor Responsibility: No
- Divestment Goal: No*
- INCR: Yes
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: Yes
- Sustainable Investment Fund: Yes**
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes***
- Principles for Responsible Investment: Yes
Other Sustainable Investing Practices:
Sustainable Investing Framework, Office of the Chief Investment Officer of the Regents
Chief Investment Officer of the Regents: Sustainable Investment Page
The entire UC system is working to have clear socially responsible investing guidelines. UC Berkeley recently launched their own socially responsible investment fund. This fund has strict social and environmental values as well as excellent financial performance.
* In 2015, UC announced selling direct holdings in coal-mining and oil-sands-focused companies, but as the CIO Jagdeep Bachher explained in an op-ed piece in the San Francisco Chronicle, this was not part of a blanket divestment policy
** UC has announced a commitment to invest $1 billion over five years in climate change solutions.