Endowment Value: $27.2 billion (June 2017)
Yale University is a private Ivy League research university located in New Haven, Connecticut. Its endowment is managed by the Investments Office, under the guidance of Yale’s Investment Committee and led by Chief Investment Officer David F. Swenson.
In the 1970s, Yale established the Advisory Committee on Investor Responsibility and the Corporation Committee on Investor Responsibility to address social responsibility issues. The ACIR and CCIR recommend policy to the Yale Corporation, the university’s governing body, and implement approved policy.
In 2014, in response to pressure from the student group Fossil Free Yale, the CCIR and ACIR explored the possibility of fossil fuel divestment. As a result of this discussion, the CCIR adopted a proxy voting guideline on climate change, instructing managers to support “shareholder resolutions seeking company disclosure of greenhouse gas emissions, analyses of the impact of climate change on a company’s business activities, strategies designed to reduce the company’s long-term impact on the global climate, and company support of sound and effective governmental policies on climate change."
Yale University is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Silver
- ACUPCC: No
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Committee for Investor Responsibility: Yes
- Divestment Goal: Yes, Partial
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: Yes
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No
Other Sustainable Investing Practices:
- David Swenson's letter to the Yale Community: "Impacts of Investments Office Climate Change Letter," Apr 2016
- David Swenson's (Chief Investment Officer) letter to Investment Managers, Aug 2014
- Student-led Dwight Hall SRI Fund files shareholder resolution with ExxonMobil, Jan 2016
- Ethical Investment Policy - Yale Investments Office
- Yale Sustainability
- Yale Statement Regarding Endowment Investment Policy - Yale will not invest in any retail outlets that market and sell assault weapons to the general public, Aug 2018