By: Ellen Meny, March 12th, 2016
University of Oregon students held a sit-in Friday, trying to convince the UO to drop its investments in fossil fuels. Friday marked the 19th day of the UO Divest Campaign's protest.
University of B.C. won't quit investing in fossil fuels l The Vancouver Sun
By Tracy Sherlock, February 3, 2016
- Instead of divesting the endowment of fossil fuel investments, the finance committee is recommending UBC create an alternative low-carbon fund. The "sustainable futures fund" would begin with a $10-million allotment.
UC system divests $30 million in prison holdings amid student pressure l Lost Angeles Times
By Jason Song, December 26, 2015
- The University of California system has sold about $30 million of its holdings in companies that operate private prisons after students voiced their opposition to such investments.
By Geoffrey Supran, December 22, 2015
- The author argues that "the bottleneck to tackling climate change isn't technology or policy know-how anymore. It's a lack of political will" and that divestment can stir up that will.
Black student groups at UC demand divestment from private prisons l Contra Costa Times
By Katy Murphy, December 17, 2015
- Black Student Unions at all nine undergraduate University of California campuses have passed a resolution demanding the university divest from private prisons -- and to ban such investments in the future, a coalition of black students announced Thursday.
University of Toronto Recommends Fossil Fuel Divestment l Clean Technica
By Joshua Hill, December 17, 2015
- A blue-ribbon committee at the University of Toronto recommended immediate and targeted divestment of fossil fuel investments.
By Lexi Faunce, December 16, 2015
- NYU Divest stormed the staircases of Bobst Library armed with diapers, blankets and canned goods as the environmental activists prepared for a sit-in on the 12th floor in front of university administration offices, threatening to wait until they were guaranteed a meeting with the Board of Trustees.
By Kathleen J. Sullivan, December 14, 2015
- The Board of Trustees at Stanford University is discussing its obligations to investment responsibility in light of student divestment requests.
Bloomberg Brief l Sustainable Finance
December 10, 2015
- This weeks Bloomberg Brief discusses divestment, green bonds, and carbon footprints.
College Donors Seen Opposing Oil and Gas Company Divestments l Bloomberg Business
By Michael McDonald, December 8, 2015
- Petroleum Industry commissions survey that finds college donors oppose oil and gas company divestments.