Agnes Scott College is an independent undergraduate college in Decatur, Georgia. The college was founded in 1889 as Decatur Female Seminary by a group of Presbyterians under the leadership of their minister, Frank H. Gaines. In 1890, the name was changed to Agnes Scott Institute to honor the mother of the college's primary benefactor, Col. George Washington Scott. The name was changed again to Agnes Scott College in 1906, and remains today a liberal arts college for women.
The college, which currently enrolls 1040 students, offers 34 undergraduate majors and 31 minors and is affiliated with numerous institutions, including Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University School of Nursing. Students who graduate from Agnes Scott receive a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree.
Agnes Scott is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). The current mission of the college, adopted in 2002, states: Agnes Scott College educates women to think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times.