California State University—Northridge
Endowment Value: $203.5 million (2021)
California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is a public university in the Northridge neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. It is the second-largest branch of the 23-campus California State University system with a student body of over 40,000 students. CSUN's endowment is directly managed by the California State University Northridge Foundation. The university’s Board of Directors has given the CSUN Foundation’s Finance and Investment Committee the authority to monitor investments and policies.
In 2015, students enrolled in Finance 437 were given the opportunity to manage $250,000 invested in ESG funds and companies. Students referred to Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s ranking of the “100 Best Corporate Citizens.” The class, taught by Dr. Mike Phillips, employs a different investment strategy each semester in an attempt to understand which ESG investing method is most effective.
Initiatives & Commitments:
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Gold
- ACUPCC: Yes, Climate Neutral by 2040
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: Yes
- Committee on Investor Responsibility: No
- Divestment Goal: Yes, halt fossil fuel investments
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: No
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No
Other Sustainable Investing Practices:
California State University Undergraduate Managed Sustainability Fund
- This fund is sponsored by The University Corporation and it is a class project for FIN 491ABH, a Business Honors Seminar class.
- Northridge Foundation Endowment Portfolio Holdings Snapshot (June 2018)
- CSU Sustainability Policy
Resources from CSU, Northridge:
ESG Investing: A Simple Approach l James Chong and G. Michael Phillips, The Journal of Wealth Management (2016)