Investing in a Shifting Food Supply System: Addressing the Inefficiencies That Contribute to Food Insecurity
November 16, 2022
Political instability, poverty, limited access to adequate housing or employment are some of the factors that contribute to food insecurity around the world. Join IEN and a lineup of speakers from VegTech Invest, Project Drawdown, The Good Food Institute, the FAIRR Initiative, and Barclays for a discussion on the inefficiencies that contribute to food insecurity. This virtual, hour-long conversation also explored how investing in shifting the global food supply system to be more efficient can help to address our current inefficiencies and positively impact food insecurity.
- Why our current food supply system is responsible, at least in part and in addition to political strife, for current food inefficiency and current and future food insecurity
- How businesses in the alternative proteins, plant-based innovation, and food tech sectors are addressing food insecurity
- What investible technologies are being developed to address food insecurity and food independence
- How emerging and current investable technologies will be applied evenly across countries and economic tiers
Our moderator Elysabeth Alfano, CEO of VegTech Invest, was joined by panelists Sharyn Murray of the Good Food Institute, Maria Lettini of the FAIRR Initiative, Matt Spence of Barclays, and Paul West of Project Drawdown.
Elysabeth Alfano, CEO, VegTech Invest
Matt Spence, Managing Director, Head of Food Technology and Alternative Protein, Barclays
Maria Lettini, Executive Director, FAIRR Initiative
Sharyn Murray, Investor Engagement Manager, Good Food Institute
Paul West, Senior Scientist, Ecosystems and Agriculture, Project Drawdown
- Investors may join GFI's Investor Directory to get inbound deal flow from alternative protein companies
- GFI’s Company Database allows investors to explore companies in the alternative protein sector and see which are raising rounds via our Fundraising Database
- Sign up for our Quarterly Investor Newsletter for investment data and analysis, research, and tools, as well as a list of venture capital funds focused on alternative proteins that are fundraising,
Leverage the GFI & FAIRR Alternative Proteins ESG Reporting Frameworks to assess and monitor the ESG characteristics of any company manufacturing alternative proteins. Simply download the framework and accompanying technical guide and request that your portfolio companies or investment prospects report via the appropriate framework.