For over 30 years NEPC has worked closely with their clients to understand their missions, return and risk objectives, spending, and liquidity needs. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, employee-owned NEPC, LLC is one of the industry’s largest independent, full-service investment consulting firms, serving over 350 retainer clients with total assets over $1.1 trillion. Their Endowment and Foundation team serves over 125 endowments and foundations and provides customized solutions to address every phase of the investment process. Known for incisive expertise, exceptional service, and results, NEPC’s collective client base has outperformed the Investment Metrics/ICC median in 28 of the 33 years since NEPC's founding in 19862.
NEPC’s Impact Investing Committee is responsible for analyzing trends, researching impact-focused managers and working with clients to develop strategies that meet their needs. This Committee is comprised of consultants and research professionals across both traditional and alternative asset classes. NEPC was one of the first US-based consulting firms to become a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). NEPC became a signatory to the PRI largely as a reflection of the work they were already doing related to impact investing. Aligning client portfolios with their respective missions is integral to the advice they provide.
NEPC has worked with a wide variety of clients to create and implement impact investment programs. They have helped their clients with:
- Reviewing and Creating Investment Policy Statements that incorporate Impact Investing
- Educating Staff, Committees, Boards, Beneficiaries and Donors
- Sourcing and Assessing Impact Managers
- Helping to develop and measure Impact programs
- Working with the Investment Management Community to Create new investment opportunities to meet client needs
NEPC helps their clients identify managers who have strong track records in the implementation of impact investing mandates and are active in company engagement and public policy work. Since much of this work is customized to each client’s goals and investment opportunities may be ‘niche’ investments, the evaluation approach is unique. Accordingly, they take a hands-on approach when these opportunities arise in order to ensure institutional quality investment opportunities or, in some cases, work with the manager to help better structure the investment opportunity in order to meet institutional standards.
1. Source: Greenwich Associates 2019. NEPC was cited more than any other firm in the 2018 survey.
2. The median fund in the $2.1 trillion InvestorForce Universe (or the ICC Universe through 2011) represents average performance among a nationwide sample of plan sponsor results.