Last week a team of experts launched the Proxy Preview 2019 guide, providing institutional investors with a key tool for shareholder engagement on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues.
|As we officially welcome Spring this week, investors are gearing up for a different kind of season: proxy voting season. Corporate annual meetings are getting underway, which provides asset owners with an opportunity to weigh in on key management and policy issues through votes on shareholder resolutions. In order to support institutional investors in setting priorities and providing proxy voting guidance to their managers, three expert groups have worked together to produce a comprehensive guide to the nearly 400 shareholder resolutions filed this year on ESG topics.|
Produced by As You Sow, the Sustainable Investment Institute (SI2), and Proxy Impact, this year’s Proxy Preview “presents information on 387 shareholder proposals investors have filed as of February 15, 2019 for the 2019 proxy season.” To access the fully report and an introductory webinar, visit the Proxy Preview site here. IEN has also created resources that provide more context on how endowments and other asset owners are using proxy voting to better align their investments with their missions, including:
- Webinar: Proxy Voting and Shareholder Engagement for Endowments
- Tool: Engaging Investment Managers on Proxy Voting & Other Forms of Shareholder Engagement
- Event: Student Conference for Corporate Responsibility (April 2019)
- Roadmap for Endowments: Step 5: Align the Endowment with Institutional Mission provides broader context, as well as guidance on how to Engage: proxy voting, shareholder resolutions and investor statements
- Education Center: view IEN’s full Resource Library page on Shareholder Engagement