Endowment Value: $887.4 million (June 2018)
Oberlin College is a four-year liberal arts college and conservatory of music with a student body of around 3,000. Located in Oberlin, Ohio, the campus has as suburban atmosphere. Oberlin's board of trustees manages the endowment.
The Office of Environment Sustainability has been implementing programs throughout the campus and educational curriculum to fulfill carbon neutrality and sustainability goals. In order to engage students, staff members, and the surrounding community, Oberlin hosts an annual Ecolympics. The Ecolympics is comprised of several sustainability oriented competitions. Along with the competitions, the school hosts sustainability workshops, educational campaigns, and film sessions throughout the ceremonies.
In 2013 the board of trustees allocated $5 million to establish the Impact Investment Platform (IIP) Subcommittee of the Board of Trustees Investment Committee to provide guidance to the Investment Committee on social and environmental issues. The IIP established an investment policy that would consider proposals submitted by any student, alum or faculty for divestment from entities that contribute to activities that "shock the conscience”. Such parameters include instances of human suffering, natural calamity and injury and Oberlin currently conducts 100% negative screening within its portfolio based on these parameters.
Oberlin College is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Gold
- ACUPCC: Yes, Climate Neutral by 2025
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Committee for Investor Responsibility: Yes, the Student Socially Responsible Investment Committee + IIP Sub-Committee
- Divestment Goal: Yes
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: Yes, Impact Investing Platform (IPP)
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes, page seven (see also divestment policy and impact policy)
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No
Other Sustainable Investing Practices: