Can sustainable investments achieve performance objectives?
The Business Case for ESG briefing paper provides a concise overview of the growing body of research on the financial performance of sustainable investment strategies.
Seeing SRI in Context | Steffon M. Gray, assistant director, research and policy analysis, NACUBO, March 2019.
Paper on financial performance of ESG integration in US investing | Principles for Responsible Investment, February 2018
- Summarizes the findings on ESG materiality in three empirical studies
Sustainable Investing and Bond Returns | Barclays, October 2016
- Examines the relationship between ESG investing and performance in the US corporate bond markets and finds that the incorporation of ESG factors into the analysis of bonds had a small but consistent performance benefit.
Corporate Sustainability: First Evidence on Materiality (pdf) l Mozaffar Khan, George Serafeim, Aaron Yoon, March 9, 2015
- Found that firms with good ratings on material sustainability issues significantly outperform firms the poor ratings on these issues.
The Impact of Corporate Sustainability on Organizational Processes and Performance(pdf) | Robert G. Eccles, Ioannis Ioannou, George Serafeim, Harvard Business School, July 2013
- 18-year study (1993-2011) showing that 90 companies with strong sustainability policies outperformed a similar group of 90 companies with low sustainability standards, with a 4.8 percent higher annual above-market average return.
Allocating Capital for Long-Term Returns | Generation Foundation, May 2015
- An analysis of the performance impact of divesting from various S&P 500 sectors.
For reports evaluating the financial performance implications of specifically divesting from fossil fuels, please see the Fossil Fuel Divestment resources page.
How a Sustainable Investing Lens leads to Better Stock Selection:
David Blood, Generation Investment Management
For more resources on financial resources, see here.