Endowment Value: $558 million (2021)
Dickinson College is a private college located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. In 2006, Dickinson joined the Investure consortium, an outsourced chief investment office that serves the needs of a select group of prestigious colleges and foundations. In 2010, Investure created a Sustainable Series within its Global Equity Fund in response to requests made by clients. A joint effort with Investure produced a set of proxy voting principles so that Dickinson College can participate in shareholder engagement.
In addition to its relationship with Investure, the Dickinson Sustainability Investment Group (DSIG) advises the endowment board on ESG strategies and is responsible for providing a forum for the Dickinson community to raise and discuss questions regarding ESG investing practices. The most recent forum was held in October 2018 to discuss the college’s endowment structure and approach to sustainable investing.
In April 2020, Dickinson College became one of the first colleges in the country to achieve carbon neutrality. To achieve this goal, Dickinson reduced its carbon emissions by 25% from its 2008 levels and purchased carbon offsets. In addition, 65% of Dickinson’s electricity is provided by solar power.
Dickinson College is a participant or member of the following Initiatives & Commitments:
- AASHE STARS: Yes, Gold
- ACUPCC: Yes, Carbon Neutral by 2020
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge: No
- CDP: No
- Divestment Goal: No
- Committee on Investor Responsibility: Yes: The Dickinson Sustainable Investment Group
- INCR: No
- Montreal Carbon Pledge: No
- Sustainable Investment Fund: Yes
- Sustainable Investment Policy: Yes
- Principles for Responsible Investment: No
Other Sustainable Investing Practices and Resources:
- Sustainable Investments Task Force Recommendations
- Dickinson Initiatives in Sustainable Investing
- Recommended Proxy Voting Principles (Investure, LLC)
- Dickinson Sustainability
Sustainable Investments Funds:
- Green Revolving Fund - a revolving loan fund established in 2014 to finance climate action plan projects
- Sustainability Global Equity Fund - $8 million of our endowment is committed to this sustainability fund, which is managed for use by Investure.